Saturday, November 8, 2008

Last week at Irelyn's soccer game she was so upset. She was crying, didn't want to play and ended up sitting next to me for the whole game. All week we have tried to figure out what was wrong so that she would feel better for today's game. We didn't have much luck so I was sort of dredding today... About 20 minutes before we were supposed to leave for the game, Irelyn started to avoid me. She was playing in her room which most of you know is very out of character for her- she likes to be near the action(me doing chores). Anyways, I was going back and forth about what to do. This is what I thought the options were:

  • Make her go even if she was crying
  • Stay home and not go
  • Take her and have what happened last week happen again

After a little bit of talking, I somehow convinced her to give it another try. She happily got ready and hopped into the car. As soon as we got to warm-up, the crying started. She ended up sitting next to me for the first quarter, but when her coach asked her to go on at the start of the second quarter she said "Yes." She started running around, kicked the ball a few times, and of course gave me a bunch of waves. And then all of a sudden, she ended up in front of the goal, the ball came to her and SHE SCORED! a hard shot too just like we knew she could kick. It was ridiculous and to see her do a complete 180 attitude change was crazy! That is just the type of kid she is and although I am used to it, it still is hard to handle sometimes.

*Moral of the story* Only YOU know your child best. Always do what you feel is the best choice for them, not what anyone else thinks.

1 comments:

Heather said...

Way to go Irelyn! I'm glad she changed her mind and wound up enjoying herself.